Glaucoma and Diabetic Retinopathy
J.K. is a 68-year-old African American woman who
has been diagnosed with osteoarthritis and type 2
diabetes mellitus for the past 15 years. She now has
diabetic retinopathy. She returns to the eye clinic with
her daughter for continued care of primary open-angle
glaucoma (POAG) and reexamination for changes in
diabetic retinopathy. Her current medical regimen for
POAG includes topical timolol maleate 0.5% extended
(Timoptic-XE) once daily OU and latanoprost (Xalatan)
0.005% OU hs. At her last examination it was noted
that she had microaneurysms and hard exudates of
• She can no longer read the newspaper and reports that medication
labels are difficult to read.
• States she is not always successful in getting the eyedrops instilled
because her hands are gnarled and painful from osteoarthritis.
• Distant and near visual acuity are stable at 20/60 (OD) and 20/50 (OS).
This is a reduction from 20/40 (OU) at her last visit.
Intraocular pressures are stable at 20 mm Hg (OU). There is a new
scotoma on visual field testing in the OS.
• Fluorescein angiography reveals diabetic macular edema OU.
• Brimonidine (Alphagan) 0.15% (OS) 15 min before and immediately
after argon laser trabeculoplasty (ALT)
• Argon laser (OU) to seal leaking microaneurysms from macular edema
• Check intraocular pressure (IOP) 1 hr after ALT
• Continue previous glaucoma drop regimen
• Follow-up examination for glaucoma in 2 wk for possible ALT (OD)
• Follow-up examination for diabetic macular edema in 8 wk
1. Explain the etiology of the new scotoma.
2. Why might ALT be an appropriate therapy for J.K.?
3. What is the purpose of the eyedrops before and immediately after ALT?
4. Priority Decision: What are the priority topics that should be discussed
in discharge teaching with J.K.?
5. What is the etiology of the vision loss from diabetic retinopathy?
6. Priority Decision: What are the priority nursing interventions for J.K.?
7. Priority Decision: Based on the assessment data, what are the priority
nursing diagnoses? Are there any collaborative problems?
8. Evidence-Based Practice: J.K. wants to know if her glaucoma is
related to her diabetes. How would you respond to her questio
Essay Writing Service Features
Our ExperienceNo matter how complex your assignment is, we can find the right professional for your specific task. Project Researchhub is an essay writing company that hires only the smartest minds to help you with your projects. Our expertise allows us to provide students with high-quality academic writing, editing & proofreading services.
Free revision policy$10
Free bibliography & reference$8
Free title page$8
How Our Essay Writing Service Works
First, you will need to complete an order form. It's not difficult but, in case there is anything you find not to be clear, you may always call us so that we can guide you through it. On the order form, you will need to include some basic information concerning your order: subject, topic, number of pages, etc. We also encourage our clients to upload any relevant information or sources that will help.Complete the order form
Once we have all the information and instructions that we need, we select the most suitable writer for your assignment. While everything seems to be clear, the writer, who has complete knowledge of the subject, may need clarification from you. It is at that point that you would receive a call or email from us.Writer’s assignment
As soon as the writer has finished, it will be delivered both to the website and to your email address so that you will not miss it. If your deadline is close at hand, we will place a call to you to make sure that you receive the paper on time.Completing the order and download