Preoperative Patient Case Assignment
F.D., a 72-year-old Hispanic retired librarian, is admitted to the hospital with compromised circulation of
the right lower leg and a necrotic right foot. She has
diabetes and takes insulin to maintain appropriate
blood glucose levels. In addition, she has hypertension and kidney and peripheral vascular disease. She
has been NPO since midnight. It is now 10 AM on the
morning of the surgery.
• History of type 2 diabetes mellitus for 30 years; states “my blood sugar
is hard to control” and “I just started taking insulin”
• History of hypertension
• History of stage 2 chronic kidney disease
• History of peripheral vascular disease
• History of macular degeneration in right eye; reports poor vision
• Surgical history: cesarean section at age 30, cholecystectomy at age
65; reports poor wound healing after last surgery
• Social Security checks barely cover the cost of living
• States she often runs out of medications and cannot always afford to
refill them right away
• Reports chronic burning pain in both legs and has trouble sleeping at
• Lives alone but has family who want her to move in with them after
• Uses herbs to control blood glucose levels and frequently skips her
• Alert, cognitively intact, anxious, older woman with complaints of
numbness and lack of feeling in right leg
• Weight 190 lb, height 5 ft 3 in
• BP 180/94, pulse 84 and slightly irregular
• Wears glasses for close work and reading
• Has macular degeneration in right eye
• Admission serum blood glucose level 272 mg/dL (15.2 mmol/L); glycosylated hemoglobin (Hb A1C) 14%
• Morning capillary blood glucose level 198 mg/dL (11 mmol/L)
• Doppler pulses for right lower leg weak, absent in right foot
• Doppler pulses in left lower leg present, weak in left foot
• Serum creatinine 2.0 mg/dL (176 mmol/L)
• Scheduled for a below-the-knee amputation of the right leg at 1 PM
1. What factors may influence F.D.’s response to hospitalization and
2. Priority Decision: Given F.D.’s history, what priority preoperative
nursing assessments would you want to complete and why?
3. What potential perioperative complications might you expect for F.D.?
4. Priority Decision: What priority topics would you include in F.D.’s
preoperative teaching plan?
5. Priority Decision: Based on the assessment data presented, identify
the priority nursing diagnoses and related interventions. Are there any
6. Delegation Decision: Identify appropriate preoperative interventions
that need to be completed and could be delegated to unlicensed assistive personnel (UAP).
7. Evidence-Based Practice: F.D. asks you why she received insulin this
morning when she has not eaten anything since midnight. How would
you respond to her?
Essay Writing Service Features
Our ExperienceNo matter how complex your assignment is, we can find the right professional for your specific task. Project Researchhub is an essay writing company that hires only the smartest minds to help you with your projects. Our expertise allows us to provide students with high-quality academic writing, editing & proofreading services.
Free revision policy$10
Free bibliography & reference$8
Free title page$8
How Our Essay Writing Service Works
First, you will need to complete an order form. It's not difficult but, in case there is anything you find not to be clear, you may always call us so that we can guide you through it. On the order form, you will need to include some basic information concerning your order: subject, topic, number of pages, etc. We also encourage our clients to upload any relevant information or sources that will help.Complete the order form
Once we have all the information and instructions that we need, we select the most suitable writer for your assignment. While everything seems to be clear, the writer, who has complete knowledge of the subject, may need clarification from you. It is at that point that you would receive a call or email from us.Writer’s assignment
As soon as the writer has finished, it will be delivered both to the website and to your email address so that you will not miss it. If your deadline is close at hand, we will place a call to you to make sure that you receive the paper on time.Completing the order and download